Wednesday, May 2, 2012





 I think that the most beautiful thing about artist Lana Del Rey's music, is that it has this utterly transparent vulnerability about it. There is nothing to hide in her music, every word is unaltered and unprocessed. These characteristic's play out in the simplicity of her lyrics, in the song Born to Die, she sings "don't make sad, don't make me cry."
As we grow older and our mind's and skin become callus from years of societal adaptation and persecution, we loose our simplicity and our child-like tendencies and willingness. Naturally, one does not say things like, "you make me sad." A statement of that nature (especially coming from a grown adult) in American culture would be perceived as childish and would most likely make whoever it was being said to, and all those around, very uncomfortable. But what is so wrong with untainted honesty?
In light of Lana Del Rey's music, and with it's reaction from the American public, this country has been fighting social suppression since it first started. Starting with freedom from slavery, prohibition, women's right, and now currently gay marriage rights. When will we finally come to a time where we are not threatened by honesty and passion? By mere song? Mere expression..

My very favorite lyric out of the entire Born to Die album is from the song Lucky Ones, "I tired so hard to act nice like a lady, you taught that is was good to be crazy." I am often ridiculed for my callousness, crass, and eccentricities and I honestly had never been able to articulate the pain I felt from the nonacceptance I received from my close family and friends over the years.  But how simple is that? ""I tried so hard to act nice like a lady."" That is why her music is so good, so emotionally electrifying, because we all feel these things. We are all scared of the ever-growing complication in our lives and the uncertainty that surrounds it, our loneliness, and the sadness that sometimes creeps up in the night.
She holds a simplicity and a wonderful child-like innocence that I have certainly lost, and don't know if I will ever be able to get it back... and because of that, I will always turn to her music, and the words will draw wells in my eyes when I'm not paying attention.

Lana Del Rey is threatening to people who are not comfortable with themselves. People who take their insecurities and lock them away, pretending they're not there, only to mock those who share them. I personally have had a very hard time adapting to my natural talents and interests, and letting go of the expectations I and those around me had of me. Many, now, would consider me an artist of some sort. But I struggle with the label, only because this society has made it a bad label. And when I say bad, I mean only that, most believe there are "certain" people who are artists. People who dress a certain way, look a certain way...and the others are pretending, or are pretentious, snobby. But what is more honorable, brave, and sincere than looking within and drawing it out in song, paint, fabric, wood, color for all to see? What is more beautiful than the rawness of someone's deepest darkest secrets and desires? I say nothing...

Those who dare to reach within themselves and ask questions such as, "who am I, why am I this way, and why do I feel like this?" are putting themselves on a path to enlightenment, enrichment, and empowerment. I hope that what people will take from Lana's music, is the inspiration to look within themselves by conjuring up questions that are provoked through her music.  

Lana sings of things such as sadness, desire, pain, the hardships of a female life, substance abuse, and disappointment. I think many can see that those who do not submit to total conformity are going to have critics indefinitely, but I think it also easy to see that the criticism is superficial and narrow-minded.









Most artists don't touch me as a person, don't touch my actual being, but more like an iconic image in which I play into for inspiration.
But for Lana, if you ever read this piece, I am overwhelmed by your generosity of sharing yourself with the world and taking the criticism that comes with it so those of us who need your music can live more beautifully and colorfully...
I am truly grateful,



yours truly

No comments:

Post a Comment